Monday, July 8, 2013

Visual Inquiry~ Material Research

This semester I studied three very different units. One of these was Visual Inquiry where we were asked to work in a different way, following the process of materials. After a huge journey of using and investigating as many different materials as I could, following a number of ideas I had, I came to the use of gloves and eventually the use of preworn leather work gloves. I experimented with pulling them apart at the seams to the raw form before sewing them back together in a way that followed the shapes of the different gloves sections. The result was something that lent itself to fashion in to an intriguing  form.  












I used the leather glove structure I previously created as a sleeve, draping pieces of recycled cream fabric from the shape before cutting the silhouette. To complete the outfit, I created a pair if shorts made from recycled loose weave cotton which I then imprint dyed with rusty objects. The result is an juxtaposition of elements; hard and soft, structure and drape, dirty and pristine, masculine and feminine.    


No comments:

Post a Comment