Thursday, March 21, 2013

2013 Collection; "Walk as One"


As one of the very lucky winners of The Spirit of the Black Dress competition, I was invited to show some of my designs in the runway show. As I am a student, however, many of my previous ‘collections’ and garments are very specific to certain concepts and learning outcomes associated with the university. Therefore, I designed and created a new collection which I entitled ‘walk as one’.


This collection is a continuation of the concept used in my Black Dress submission as I was interested in pushing the ideas further. The collection, like my black dress, is created by the recycling of men's pants into contemporary styles. The new styles link strongly to their origins and utilise the components of the trousers such as pockets, clasps, belt loops and facings to show the journey of the material and therefore celebrate the sustainability of the designs.




Look One: "Easy Fit Dress": Pant panels draped from belt loop straps



Look two: ‘Drop Back Tank’: Strips of pant material, facing and waistband detail in loose tank design  and ‘Patch Pants’: 3/4 pants wrapping shapes of original pant panels around the legs, 3D Pattening.




Look three: ‘Pocket Bag Singlet’:White cotton singlet made from the pocket bags with a raw edge finish and ‘About Slouch Shorts’: Reorientated panels draped and tucked, pockets, fly front zip.




No comments:

Post a Comment