Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Structure of Modesty


What is modesty?
How do you define modesty?
Who decides what modesty is?
And when these questions are finally answered…
Who decides the line of modesty in an ever changing world?
Is there different types of modesty?
Is anyone really modest anymore?

It is these kinds of questions that are of interest to me. They aren’t questions that can be answered in black and white. They aren’t even questions that I can create the answers to by responding to my own thoughts because the fact is that there are so many contradictions. I would consider myself modest. I try to take an interest in other people’s opinions, views and stories; I try not to brag or skite; and I try to dress appropriately to the situation. But this is my definition of modesty. I am far from modest in Muslim customs and far too modest in the eyes of a bushman.
There is an interesting article by John Grohol, Psychologist entitled ‘Is Exhibition the New Modesty”. The article explores the idea of modesty and raises the question about what it actually is and who defines it. His answer? ‘We do’. It is defined by the individual, the majority and the minority in one. However, as social media takes a larger and larger affect on the individual and whole alike, ‘exhibitionism’ is changing our perception of modesty; making it even harder to define.
Another article exploring the idea of modesty is Oliver James’ opinion piece in The Guardian (August 2011). Entitled ‘Family Under the Microscope’, James articulates the modesty, or lack thereof, present in a range of countries and cultures. It is presumed that America “hold unrealistically positive views of themselves, believing they are much better than average”. As a country and culture that is so highly influenced by America, I am in no doubt Australians are much the same.
My research lead me to consider again how modesty is more than just covering up, but a state of self. Referring to a quote on Islamic dress code which interested me earlier on; “Dress is only one aspect of total being, and merely reflects what is present inside a person’s heart”.
Perhaps for a devout Muslim, the role of dress is structured in such a way that follows their equally structured religion. But in saying that, this is true for any religion or culture; belief, customs and morals have a large impact on the way we dress from Muslim to Christian and from beach babe to the gothic subculture.
The idea of someone’s inner feelings, beliefs or customs being represented on the outside through dress is a huge concept to tackle, ranging over a myriad of areas and ideas. In fact, the idea of inner feelings being portrayed on the outside is something I am exploring in Technology and Dress at the same time as this. This does not mean, however, that these two projects will be in any way similar.Culture and Dress brings an inspiration on its own; the Palestinian dress, the idea of modesty, and the contemporary environment to which I bring forward these designs.
















No comments:

Post a Comment