Saturday, August 7, 2010

Anna Sui inspired dress...



Since I'm back at Uni now, projects are about the only interesting fashion thing I'll be doing. This was a 'dress' I created for one prodject where I studied fashion designer, Anna Sui. I was interested in Anna Sui’s tendency to celebrate the cheap, unlike many fashion designers. I was also interested in the way she mixes colour, pattern and texture together. By taking these two aspects into account, I created this piece.

I found that Anna Sui often uses many patterns, colours and styles together within the same garment. I also found this quote which acted as a major inspiration to my peice;
“There is an artistry in Ms. Sui’s mix or art and fashion:
she celebrates the cheap and asks you to question the
expensive” (Alex Kunczunski, New York Times 2009)

I hoped that by making a dress similar to the style of Anna Sui, and incorporating two major influences, patterns and celebrating the cheap, I successfully conveyed Anna Sui as a designer as well as showing my individual style.

As a big fan of recycling, restyling and opshoping, my aim was also to show that people do not need to spend ridiculous amounts on clothes, and can quite simply create their own, quite inexpensively. Although like many designers, I was showing an exaggerated version of this idea...





Yes, it is made out of rubbish; plastic bags, old clothes, cardboard, paper...
At least no one could say "it looks like rubbish"... it was meant to:)

xx Cordelia

1 comment:

  1. Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People..Thanks
    Bridesmaid Dresses

    ReplyDelete